Monday, May 26, 2008

Brooklyn Flea!


What a great day. Not only did all this stuff get saved from certain doom, we raised some money and some awareness too. The general public is mostly interested in the inexpensive, nice things and knowing what they are buying came off a L'Oreal or WalMart commercial. Personally, the best thing was many people who frequent the Flea are in film business. Many stopped to talk about what we're doing, take a handful of cards and discuss how much they have thrown away. Again, everybody wants to do the right thing, but can't.

Other great news is Arash Moktar sold a bunch of his paintings under the Film Biz Tent and made great contacts. He was there all day with me and was a total rock star. His work is incredible.

Speaking of Rock Stars, HUGE thanks to Akeo Ihara for use of his hand truck, EZ up tent, table, early morning load-in, end-of-day load out, and all the STUFF!!!!

 He was so there and all over it and with a smile. I'm so grateful. And of course, a big thank you to Danielle Webb, for her fabulous schlepping, encouragement and double parking efforts.

High fives to Brianne Zulauf for representing my peeps and stepping in and helping us sell and have fun and being her usual sunshiny self. 

Mark Newell (and co-director) for loading in and out of the storage space - no small feat. Daniel Kenney for bringing some awesome stuff (one teapot that sold the second I put it down on the table) and making me laugh when the heat was really getting to me. Kate Yatsko dropped by to say hello. Thanks for all the support!

Now the nitty gritty - the money - drum roll, please. We made 777 dollars. (If we were only playing slots or into numerology). Not bad for a side table, one super nice floor lamp, knick-knacks and all the professional hagglers. It almost covers the 900+ I paid out of my own pocket for start up fees: website, business cards, storage unit, flea fee, rental of 3 tables, cargo van rental, parking, gas and a few zip cars to pick up donations. The good news is, NEXT Flea (June 15th) will all go towards the Diesel Cargo Van. The big start-up fees are done more and more will just go to paying me back. Note: I have been turning down work and NONE of this goes to me as a salary.

I am keeping meticulously accounting for all expenses any donors of time or materials are always welcome to see receipts. Always. It's important to me you know this is not for personal gain, but to make this big idea a reality.

Anyway, a great day, except for my goofy-looking farmer's burn.

No comments: